Many businesses now understand what SEO (search engine optimisation) is and why it is important. However, many businesses struggle to create and maintain an effective SEO strategy. While they understand that they need to make their list of keywords and create pages on their website that are centred on those keywords, they fail to put any effort into the really valuable steps, content marketing and external link building. As a result they find their websites fail to rise up the search engine results pages, leaving them frustrated and lost in the world of SEO.
Content marketing is one of the most important aspects of SEO. It’s a task that all businesses need to be doing as it plays a big role in ranking your website in the search engines. Each new blog post creates a brand new URL for your website, that URL is used to index your website so it is important to target your audience and include relevant keywords in a natural way so that your audience is able to find you naturally as they search online.
There are additional benefits to content marketing that deserve a very quick mention:
- Original content helps to build authority in your industry
- Blog posts can be used in your social media marketing campaigns giving your business exposure online
- Blogs can be shared on social networks by your readers, increasing exposure
- Blogs drive traffic to your website
- Calls to action on blog posts help to convert traffic into leads
- Blog posts generate traffic long into the future
External Link Building
External link building is an off page SEO tactic that plays a massive role in how successful your website is in the search engines. Businesses need to spend time creating a link building plan and coming up with ways of getting links to the website shared elsewhere online. These external links are used by search engines and they hold great weight in the rank you’re able to achieve. There are a few methods you can explore using, such as:
- Sharing your original blog posts on external websites including G+, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Exchanging links with local businesses
- Guest blogging on other websites
- Create sharable content that is likely to be shared by influencers in your industry