Are you looking for ways of improving the content on your website in the eyes of Google? Making changes that will see your website rank higher in the search engines? We’re here to help. Here are 7 really easy SEO tips that you can get started on today.
- Improve your 404 page template. When a page that is being searched for cannot be found a 404 message is provided to the user. The purpose of that message is to alert the user about the missing page and ideally to provide them with help on where they might find it or any other suitable options. Sadly, many of these pages don’t have enough content to explain the problem and this is what Google doesn’t like.
Make changes to the template, adding details as to why the page is missing, relevant internal search pages they can visit, directing the user to your internal search bar and adding some extra popular links, including but definitely not limited to the homepage.
- Maintain and update your content to ensure it remains relevant, accurate and up to date. Check for broken links and remove them or replace them so Google doesn’t consider your content to be of poor quality. Broken images should also be removed or replaced. Check your pages and update content every couple of months so it remains accurate and free from broken content.
- Add plenty of contact information, a contact form and basic information isn’t enough. Users of your website want to trust you before they do business with you and your contact page can help to build trust. If you use a contact form, be sure to add the physical address, email, and phone numbers and so on. Add further information by adding details on who is responsible for the content on the website, detailed information on how to find you and as much relevant contact information as possible.
- Check the current content for typos and bad grammar. Google looks for these easily fixable mistakes and readers don’t appreciate them either.
- Don’t copy and paste content from other websites. You can certainly use other content you’ve found in your research but make the content your own, clearly reference any quotes to the original source and add links to the pages you’re referencing to.
- Have a suitable ratio of main content and supplementary content. Websites shouldn’t be solely focused on advertisements or monetisation (supplementary content). There needs to be more main content to improve the quality of the website. Add extra main content and don’t make it seem like you only care about getting your supplementary content out there.
- Add the name of the author to the content to improve the quality and to show the website is maintained. The author name could be the individual responsible for the website or the name of the business.
Need help improving your SEO, website or content? Give us a call and we’ll discuss your options.