Instagram Stories are enjoyed by many users on the popular image and video-based social network. The recent introduction of Instagram Polls now gives marketers a new way of increasing engagement via Stories. The feedback received is direct and this gives you a fantastic opportunity to learn more about your audience and use it to improve your social presence. Here’s how to go about it.
Creating a Poll on Instagram Stories
- You can’t create a poll on Instagram unless you use Instagram Stories. Create a new story and make sure that the image relates to the question you’ll be asking your audience. You can use plain text if you have nothing else, but make sure there is space to put the poll.
- Click on the Sticker icon and click on the poll sticker. You’ll be prompted to write your question and the Yes and No boxes will appear below.
- Customisation is possible if you want to change the Yes/No answers. Feel free to be creative but make sure it fits in with your branding and your target audience. You have a maximum of 26 characters for each of the poll options. It’s not possible to have more than two answers at this present time and there’s been no indication that more will be added.
- When you’ve customised your poll, place it anywhere on your chosen image. You can move it anywhere you like, just like any sticker you choose. You are also able to add any additional stickers if you wish. Make sure the poll is easy to see, read and interact with. You can pinch the poll sticker to change the size.
- Now you’re ready to add the post to your Stories.
Once live, the viewers can scroll through and give their answer on your poll by tapping the box that is relevant to them. All you need to do is ensure you have push notifications turned on in Instagram and you’ll get notified each time a person votes. You’ll be able to check the post analytics for a full round up of the engagement you received. Read the results by opening the post analytics that’s shown at the bottom with an upward swipe. Tap on the eye icon and you’ll find information about the people that votes and which way they voted.
Things to Remember
- Instagram stories are only visible for 24 hours from the time they are posted. You won’t be able to see the results of the poll once the story ends.
- Use the poll to learn more about your audience
- Use the poll to help your audience learn more about you